9/14/2008

Proposing?

I got to talk (and see!) C this morning! He was able to get on the web cam. I was so happy to finally see him, moving and talking and just being there..it was great, especially after the night that I had. Last night I went out with friends for the first time after him leaving. We went to this bar/club that I'm pretty much a regular at and it was great to get out and dance again. But at the same token, I should've gone home right afterwards. My friend Brena and I went to an after party, big mistake. I won't get into all the details, because I'm trying to get to something else important right now. But basically, I didn't get home until 8 am because I locked my keys and phone in the car and after hours of looking for them and not having but $25 to my name, I had to borrow money from people and get a locksmith. Ahh, crazy night!
So, after my night from hell, getting to talk to C of course makes me happy, but even more so this morning! Here's an excerpt from our convo. He brings up an engagement ring...



C: I am listening to your song, Katy Perry's
J: HaHa, I kissed a girl? You hate that song!

C: But it reminds me of you
C: Plus I don't hate everything that I tell you
J: So why would you tell me you hate something if you don't?
C: Because I don't want to play it or do it all the time
J: So you say you hate it? You're such a dork! You should just say its just not your favorite!
J: You're my favorite ;)
C: I know but you love me to death!
J: You know I really think I do babe
C: Well I know you do
C: I'm your fav?????
J: Yup, you're stuck with me!
C: good because................
C: oh never mind
J: Never mind?? Oh no don't you dare say that when were talking about something like this
C: I DO WHAT I DO
C: LoL
J: Oh heck no
C: yep
J: okay ill remember that
C: Okay fine. I went shopping for something online
C: That's all i will say. And the I need to know your ring size for something else :)
J: Oh really, which finger..?
C: Just guess
J: I think I know but I just wanted to hear you say it and be sure.
C: Okay babe, your ring finger
J: :D I'll have to see what size my rings are that fit me..I'll let you know.
C: Yeah you should do that
C: are you crying
J: I have been crying and smiling this whole time
C: Your weird but I love you
C: so much..you make me so happy
J: Well i cant help it babe..I'm a sucker for you! And I love you too.

We've been talking about the future and what it holds for us. We've talked about marriage, kids, our career plans, where we'd want to live...many things. But after talking to him today, when he mentioned shopping for rings. I really didn't want to know, because I love surprises (mostly when I don't know about them), but I guess our relationship started a little unconventional, so other things will be that way. It's all about planning, not spontaneity. So after our convo, I thought well I can still have an element of surprise in the way he goes about it..the proposal! Ever since I was a little girl I've dreamed of that day when my prince charming got down on one knee. More or less than the actual ceremony! Well no..I've dreamed of everything that had to do with my wedding. It's one of the moments in your life that you have control in turning your dreams into reality. What can I say I'm a total romantic! I was just randomly looking at rings when I came across some proposal ideas. I found some that are so cute, but nothing can top my dream proposal....

I've always wanted to be totally and utterly surprised. My dream would be for when he's ready to fake me out a few times with really romantic dates or being romantic in general..but when it finally comes down to it to send me on a scavenger hunt. Have him set it up when I'm with my best friend and the first place we go there's the first note. Someway I'd want her to sneak in the opportunity to start video recording it. He'd send me to all places that meant the most to us or just a reminder of things in our relationship and have me pick up little things along the way. Towards the end of the hunt, he'd send me home to get dressed for dinner at our favorite restaurant. Then at the end, on my last stop, my best friend happens to "go to the bathroom"and after I read the last note and do that last task..he's waiting for me. (With my best friend still recording!) Whether it be in a crowded place with our family and friends or private, with flowers and candles. I don't care because I would just be so happy at that point. That to me would just be amazingly perfect!

But let's face it, nothing is totally perfect. But a girl can dream!! However, here's some other cute proposal ideas that I found..


  • Have a friend or family member set up a picnic -- complete with wine and cheese, or course -- for you in a park. Take your girlfriend for a hike on a route where you'll stumble upon this surprise "Proposal Picnic."
  • Tie a red velvet ribbon from one spot in your home to another. Attach little notes recalling perfect moments in your relationship along the way. You wait at the last stop, ring in hand.
  • Create a personalize fortune cookie with your own proposal message.
  • Scratch your proposal into the frost on his or her car's windshield.
  • During your annual Halloween prep, challenge her to a pumpkin carving contest and carve the words "Marry Me" in your pumpkin. (I like this one because we both LOVE Halloween!!)
  • Tell your girlfriend you want to make a time capsule together to bury and dig up years into the future. As you're gathering the items, say it wouldn't be complete without a picture of the moment you two got engaged! Have a Polaroid camera ready to take that shot right after you present her with the ring.
  • Make your own message in a bottle. On the night before a beach day you've planned, write a love poem on a piece of parchment paper, roll it into an antique bottle with a cork, and bury it in a well marked spot in the sand near your towels. Be sure you "find" the bottle as you dig together -- and have the ring at the ready. (Sooooo cute!!!)
  • Make a list of ten reasons you'd like to marry your beloved. Read them to him or her in front of a crowd, have a singing telegram deliver them, or send them written on note cards one by one over the course of a day (or ten!), with the last card arriving via personal messenger (you!). (This is one of my favorites!!)

    I'm sure there's many cute, romantic ways to do it. It all comes down to the way the guy wants to do it. I'm sure anyway he does it will be amazing. The fact that I've found someone to spend my life with is amazing in it's own. But like I said a girl can dream!! If anyone has any cute ideas or even stories of their own, I'd absolutely love to hear about them. Thanks! :)

    3 comments:

    Kristen said...

    Yay that is awesome! I'm really happy for you! Hmmmm....our story is really long, but I'll try and post it on my blog tomorrow. Trust me...its a good one.

    Sarah said...

    hey lady- ive been dancing for 12 years and before that did gymnastics and other performing arts. I majored in it in college and competed in it through middle and high school... talk of proposals are exciting!! YAY!

    J.L.S. said...

    That is sooo exciting! I can still remember that feeling. It hasn't even been a year since I first thought Scott might propose. Keep us all posted!